Tesla, the wonder kid EV producer, became a household name for the general public and in particular for the investment community within a few months of the introduction of its highly acclaimed
Model S Luxury EV.
Tesla has already broken many of the industry’s common convictions, including:
- That it is almost impossible for a newcomer to break into the automotive business
- That practical EVs must be limited to a range of 100-150 miles
- That EVs are more suitable as small urban vehicles
- That EVs imply a financial loss to carmakers
The general excitement over the success of the company to date has driven its stock value through the roof and the company’s plans are generating additional excitement. Automakers
can no longer ignore the Silicon Valley wonder kid who entered their territory but their responses vary from a ”no impact on our business” type of attitude at one end of the
scale to attempts to develop long-range EVs at the other extreme.
In this presentation we will:
- Analyze the ingredients of Tesla’s success to date
- Discuss the pros and cons of Tesla’s battery technology
- Analyze the risk/reward elements of Tesla’s approach
- Discuss the likely responses form carmakers
- Explore Tesla’s potential impact on the xEV battery supply chain